Brussels Briefing on Trade – All you need to know for 01-15 October 2016
In this Brussels Briefing on Trade, Joanna Sopinska – Trade Editor for EU Trade Insights, provides an overview of the EU’s most pressing trade issues for the first half of October 2016.
- The 15th round of TTIP talks will start on 3 October in New York. Even though Commissioner Malmström admitted in September it is unrealistic to finish the talks before the end of the Obama administration, the aim is to continue the progress. The main focus during the October talks will be regulatory cooperation.
- On 4 October, the MEPs will debate and vote on EU rules on trade in goods that can be misused for torture or execution during the plenary session in Strasbourg,
- During the same plenary session, on 5 October the Council and the Commission will inform the MEPs on the issues at stake at the EU Council Summit due later in October.
- Commissioner Malmström will meet the Turkish Minister for Economic Affairs in Brussels to discuss the EU-Turkey Customs Union on Friday 7 October.
- On 10 October the next round of EU-Mercosur talks will take place in Brussels. It will be the first full round after the meeting in May.
- Anti-CETA mass demonstration will take place in Paris on 15 October. It is organized days before the extraordinary Trade Council meeting on 18 October to protest the signature and provisional application of CETA.