Brussels Briefing on Energy – All you need to know for June 2015
In this Brussels Briefing on Energy, journalist Hughes Belin provides an overview of the latest EU energy policy developments.
- Energy Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete presented a report showing that the EU is on track to meet its target of 20% renewable energy by 2020.
- Energy security strategy: MEPs failed to agree on a common position. The Energy Council held a debate on the subject.
- European energy Ministers signed three political declarations on regional energy cooperation in the margin of the Energy Council.
- Hungary and Ukraine signed a gas interconnection agreement which legally frames reverse gas flows from West to East.
- Russia and Ukraine, meanwhile, are poised to meet with EU Commission to negotiate a deal on a new interim agreement on gas supplies.
- On 15 July, the Commission will launch a consultation on how to reshuffle the EU electricity market.
Featuring a statement from Energy and Climate Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete and Claude Turmes MEP.