Brexit Timeline So Far: From the Brexit Referendum until the EU 27 Agreeing to Grant UK Extension

Brexit Timeline So Far: From the Brexit Referendum until the EU 27 Agreeing to Grant UK Extension

A timeline of Brexit in the run-up to the originally set Brexit date of March 29, 2019.

Following is a brief timeline of the development of the Brexit process, the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, based on a timeline originally compiled by the BBC:

 

June 23, 2016

The UK surprisingly votes to leave the European Union with 51.9% in favor of leaving and 48.1% for the remain side


July 12, 2016

Theresa May takes over from David Cameron as Prime Minister of the UK


March 29, 2017

British leader May triggers Article 50 of the Union’s Lisbon Treaty starting the two-year process of the UK leaving the EU, i.e. Brexit


June 8, 2017

The British Conservative Party loses its parliamentary majority, after Theresa May calls a snap election


June 26, 2017

The EU and the UK begin formal negotiations on Brexit, that is, the latter’s withdrawal from the former


March 19, 2018

The EU and the UK agree the status of EU citizens after Brexit, fishing policy issues and dates for a transition period, intended to allow time for the UK and EU to agree their future relationship


November 14, 2018

The EU and the UK agree the Brexit deal (withdrawal agreement)


December 10, 2018

British Prime Minister Theresa May pulls a vote on her Brexit deal with the EU


January 15, 2019

The House of Commons of the British Parliament overwhelmingly defeats May’s Brexit deal, by 230 votes, the single worst defeat for a sitting Cabinet in British history


March 11, 2019

May and the EU leaders agree last-minute amendments on the Brexit deal designed to give the UK reassurances over the highly contentions Northern Ireland backstop, the so called Strasbourg Agreement


March 12, 2019

The House of Commons of the British Parliament defeats May’s amended Brexit deal, by a margin of 149 votes


March 13, 2019

The House of Commons of the British Parliament votes against a no-deal Brexit


March 14, 2019

The House of Commons of the British Parliament votes in favor or extending Article 50, that is, seeking an extension (delay) on Brexit from the EU


March 18, 2019

John Bercow, Speaker of the House of Commons of the British Parliament, frustrates May’s hopes for holding a new vote on her amended Brexit deal with the EU, ruling that it has to be “substantially different” from its already rejected version in order to be put to a new vote


March 20, 2019

British Prime Minister May sends European Council President Donald Tusk a formal letter asking the EU to extend Article 50 (i.e. delay Brexit) until June 30, 2019


March 21, 2019

The EU 27 leaders agree to grant the UK a Brexit extension until May 22, the last day before the 2019 European Parliament Elections, on the condition that the British Parliament adopts May’s Brexit deal, or until April 12, if the legislature in London fails to do so.

(Banner image: European Council press service)

 

newsletter
Join our mailing list and never miss an update !
Commission Takes Haphazard, Problematic Approach to Money Laundering

Commission Takes Haphazard, Problematic Approach to Money Laundering

For the European Commission (EC), pursuing regulatory priorities during the COVID-19 pandemic has proven to be a historic challenge. Commission officials, together with their colleagues in the European Parliament (EP)

EU, UK Trade Accusations as Post-Brexit Trade Talks Stalemate before Deadline Round

EU, UK Trade Accusations as Post-Brexit Trade Talks Stalemate before Deadline Round

The EU and UK have completed the next to last round of talks for their post-Brexit trade relationship in a stalemate, with each side the lack of progress

Europe Must Act to Nip Obesity in the Bud, but the Devil’s in the Details

Europe Must Act to Nip Obesity in the Bud, but the Devil’s in the Details

If Europe was still in doubt that it needs to curb its rising obesity rates, the coronavirus pandemic has put renewed emphasis on the deadly consequences of excess weight.