37-Year-Old Turkish Man Wanted for Tram Shooting Terrorist Attack in Utrecht, Netherlands
The suspect is believed to have escaped the site of the tram shooting in Utrecht by car.
The police of the Netherlands say they are looking for a least one suspect who might have escaped by car.
One person is feared to have died and several others were wounded in the Utrecht shooting, with the gunman or gunmen remaining at large as of the early afternoon.
“The police asks you to look out for the 37 year old Gökman Tanis (born in Turkey) associated with the incident this morning at the 24oktoberplein in Utrecht. Do not approach him but call 0800-6070,” the Dutch police tweeted.
Updating initial reports, the head of the Dutch counter-terror agency said there had been shootings at “several” locations in Utrecht on Monday.
“Several shots were fired in a tram and several people were injured. Helicopters are at the scene and no arrests have been made,” said police spokesman Joost Lanshage.
The National Anti-Terrorism Coordinator, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, said it had raised the alert level in the Utrecht area to the maximum of five.
“[The Utrech tram shooting] appears to be a terrorist attack”, said the head of the country’s counter-terrorism agency, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, as cited by Dutch broadcaster NOS.
“The culprit is still on the run. A terror motive cannot be excluded,” Aalbersberg said in a Twitter post, urging the local citizens to follow closely the instructions of local police.
Local media said security has been increased around government buildings, in addition to schools, the facilities of Utrecht University, and mosques – including in relation with the recent terrorist attack against two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was “deeply concerned” by the likely terrorist attack in the tram shooting in Utrecht, and canceled his weekly coalition talks.
(Banner image: Dutch police on Twitter)