Most Brits Would Want to Remain in EU in New Brexit Referendum, Poll Finds

Most Brits Would Want to Remain in EU in New Brexit Referendum, Poll Finds

“Remain” is projected to win by a wider margin than “Leave” won back in 2016.

A majority of the British voters would now support “Remain” if a new Brexit referendum is held, according to the results from a public opinion poll for Channel 4 TV released on Monday.

A total of 54% of the Brits would vote in favor of remaining in the European Union vs. 46% who would be against, showed the survey carried out by Survation

The study also estimated that more than a hundred local authorities across the UK would now vote to stay, as cited by Reuters.

In their June 2016 referendum, a narrow majority of the British citizens voted in favor of Brexit (51.9% to 48.1%).

The UK is set to leave the EU on March 29, 2019, regardless of the failure of the Brexit talks between Brussels and London to strike a withdrawal agreement.

A total of 20,000 people were interviewed online for the Channel 4 / Survation poll between October 20 and November 2.

Other public opinion polls in the UK have recently found that a rising number of British citizens are in favor of having a second Brexit referendum in a certain form.

In July 2018, another YouGov poll commissioned by The Times found that for the first time the number of UK citizens supporting a second referendum on the terms of Brexit surpassed the number of those who do not.

British Prime Minister Theresa May has repeatedly ruled out holding another referendum on Brexit.

However, many campaigners backing a “People’s Vote” on Brexit have argued that her vision for the EU – UK relationship under the so called Checkers Plan is different from the options on the ballot paper of the 2016 referendum.

That is why the British public deserves another say when the terms of Brexit eventually become known.

The Survation poll found that 33% of the Brits would reject May’s version of a Brexit deal compared to just 26% who would accept it – assuming she manages to finalize an agreement against the backdrop of internal opposition within the ruling Conservative Party.

In the event of a no-deal scenario, 36% said Britain should leave without a deal, 35% said it should remain in the EU and 19% said departure should be delayed until an agreement is reached.

If May managed to get a deal, 43% would support a referendum to choose between accepting the deal or remaining in the EU vs. 37% who would oppose the choice, the survey found.

(Banner image: Flickr)

newsletter
Join our mailing list and never miss an update !
Johnson, Hunt Both Vow Brexit by October 31 in UK Conservatives’ Leadership Debate

Johnson, Hunt Both Vow Brexit by October 31 in UK Conservatives’ Leadership Debate

Both contenders to become the leader of the British Conservative Party, and thus the Prime Minister of the UK, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt, have promised to get

Boris Johnson Doesn’t Expect No-Deal Brexit but Says He’s Ready to Go for One

Boris Johnson Doesn’t Expect No-Deal Brexit but Says He’s Ready to Go for One

The frontrunner to become the new leader of the UK’s ruling Conservative Party, and thus Britain’s next Prime Minister, leading Brexiteer Boris Johnson, has declared he did not

Arch-Brexiteer Boris Johnson Emerges as Leader in UK Conservative Party Race after First Vote

Arch-Brexiteer Boris Johnson Emerges as Leader in UK Conservative Party Race after First Vote

Key Brexiteer Boris Johnson has emerged as the leader in the race to succeed Theresa May as head of the UK Conservative Party and Prime Minister of Britain