Germany’s Population of Immigrant Background Reaches New Peak at 23.6%

Germany’s Population of Immigrant Background Reaches New Peak at 23.6%

A total of 23.6% of Germany’s population was with immigrant background in 2017, according to the results from a micro-census released by the German Federal Office for Statistics Destatis.

Thus, a total of 19.3 million out of Germany’s estimated population of 81.7 million were of immigrant background, the micro-census figures show, as cited by DW.

Thus, the EU’s most populous member state saw a 4.4% increase year-on-year in the number of residents with immigrant background.

However, the majority, 51%, of the people of immigrant background resident in Germany are German citizens, while the other 49% remain foreign nationals.

Destatis defines a person of “migrant background” as someone who was not born in Germany or who has at least one parent who is not a German citizen.

However, the German statistical service cautioned that the data of foreigners who live in asylum and migrant reception accommodation might be understated.

A total of 13.2 million of the 19.3 million people of immigrant background in Germany had immigrated to the country themselves, with “family reasons” cited as the most important factor for immigration.

The annual micro-census in Germany is based on a sample of 1% of the country’s population and concentrates on people in private households.

People with Turkish roots continue to make up the largest group of German residents with immigrant background – 14% of the estimated total of 19.3 million; they are followed by people with Polish roots – 11%, Russian roots – 7%, Kazakh roots 6%, and Romanian roots – 4%.

The category reflects the countries of origin, rather than the respective ethnicities, and therefore also includes a large number of ethnic Germans from historical ethnic German minorities across Eastern Europe who immigrated to Germany followed the collapse of the former Soviet Bloc in 1989 – 1991.

In the 2017 micros-census, for the first time Destatis also asked its respondents about the language spoken at home.

It found that a foreign language was most often spoken in 2.5 million households out of a total of 24 million households with more than one person.

(Banner image: Pixabay)

newsletter
Join our mailing list and never miss an update !
Calls to Combat Online Vaccine Misinformation from Ireland’s Health Minister

Calls to Combat Online Vaccine Misinformation from Ireland’s Health Minister

Ireland’s Minister for Health, Simon Harris, today called on social media companies to do more to stop the spread of online misinformation on vaccines. The Minister was speaking in Dublin at

Far-Right Politician’s Election as Town Council Head Shocks Germany’s Mainstream Parties

Far-Right Politician’s Election as Town Council Head Shocks Germany’s Mainstream Parties

Stefan Jagsch of the far-right National Democratic Party (NPD) – deemed to be an overtly neo-Nazi formation – has been elected a town council chairman in the German

British MPs Vote to Take Control of Parliamentary Business in bid to Block No-deal Brexit

British MPs Vote to Take Control of Parliamentary Business in bid to Block No-deal Brexit

British MPs were successful tonight (Tuesday) in winning a vote to take control of parliamentary time tomorrow to pass legislation aimed at preventing a no-deal Brexit. The vote was passed by