Top 5 Environment – All you need to know for the Luxembourg EU Presidency
In this special briefing, environment journalist Sonja van Renssen identifies the top 5 environment issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Luxembourg EU Presidency:
- Road to COP21 in Paris in December: the Luxembourg Presidency will focus on the need to channel the debate on climate finance, i.e. the money needed to reach the EU’s climate change targets as well as a review process to increase ambition every five years after 2020.
- The second big climate issue for the autumn is the reform of the EU Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) following the Commission’s proposals tabled on 15 July.
- The Commission’s circular economy proposals are due this Autumn and eagerly awaited by many.
- Air quality: the Presidency will be looking to impose the revised National Emission Ceilings (NEC) directive on reluctant Member States.
- Finally, the Luxembourg Presidency will prepare for the 25-27 September UN summit on post-2015 sustainable development goals.