Top 5 Environment – All you need to know for 2014
In this special briefing, leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen takes a pick at the top 5 environment issues that will be discussed by the EU institutions under the Greek Presidency.
- The biggest issue on the agenda will be the climate and energy package to be unveiled by the European Commission on January 22nd.
- ETS and how to include emissions from international aviation will also be high on the agenda, with the European Parliament and the biggest Member States disagreeing on the way forward.
- Shale gas will be back on the agenda with a long-awaited proposal to be tabled by the European Commission also on January 22nd.
- In 2014, DG Environment’s priority will be waste and resource efficiency with a ‘circular economy’ package expected to be presented by environment Commissioner Potočnik in spring.
- The alternative fuel strategy with difficult trialogue negotiations between the Council, European Parliament and Commission lying ahead.
Sonja van Renssen concludes that in addition, other topics feature as well on the Greek Presidency’s priority list, such as the reduction of plastic bag use, air quality, CO2 emissions from ships but that the Greeks will not deal with f-gases, CO2 standards for cars and, probably, ILUC while oil sands will remain as unpredictable as ever.