Top 5 Environment – All you need to know about the Dutch EU Presidency
In this special briefing, environment journalist, Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the Top 5 Environment priorities for the Dutch EU Presidency:
- COP21 follow-up: The “Energy Union, climate and transport” is one of the Dutch presidency’s five strategic priorities.
- Circular economy: The Netherlands hopes to agree with the Council conclusions on the non-legislative action plan and kick off debate on definitions and targets for recycling.
- NEC directive: MEPs and member states will start negotiations to agree new national air pollution targets for 2030.
- Car emissions tests & Volkswagen Scandal: The European Parliament is due to approve or reject new car emission tests at its next plenary.
- Better regulation: The Netherlands may raise hackles among environmentalists with its “Make it Work” initiative to cut red tape in environmental law.