Brussels Briefing on Environment: All you need to know for October 2014
In this latest Brussels Briefing on Environment leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest developments in the field of European environment policy.
Topics discussed include:
– Karmenu Vella’s – Commissioner-designate for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries – hearing by the European Parliament: MEPs have given green light, but requested Commission President Juncker to include sustainability in the portfolio of Vice-President Jyrki Katainen.
– European Parliament hearing of Miguel Arias Cañete, Commissioner-designate for Climate Action and Energy, on 1 October
– EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS): talks on a new market stability reserve for EU ETS are about to start
– United Nations Climate Summit on 23 September: no big news from New York
– MEPs and the member states are restarting negotiations on plastic bags and CO2 from shipping
– Issues to look ahead: air quality, biodiversity and oil sands
Featuring statements by: Karmenu Vella, Commissioner-designate for Environment, Maritime Affairs & Fisheries, and Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action.