Brussels Briefing on Environment – All you need to know for June 2015
In this Brussels Briefing on Environment, leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest EU environment policy developments:
- On the occasion of the 2015 edition of Green Week, stakeholders will discuss nature protection and biodiversity (3-5 June, Brussels)
- Ongoing: world governments meet for the latest round of UN climate talks in Bonn, to work on the negotiating text for COP21 in Paris (1-11 June, Bonn).
- EU ETS: a new survey by the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA) shows that market players expect the EU carbon price to more than double in the next decade.
- The Commission’s circular economy consultation has been launched: respondents have until the 20th of August to answer.
- Greening transport: on the 18th of June, in the context of EU Sustainable Energy Week, the Commission will kick off debate on a 2030 climate and energy policy for transport.
- Also in June, an EU technical working group is due to decide on new air pollution rules for large combustion plants from 2020.
Featuring statements from Kaspars Gerhard, Minister for Environmental protection and Regional Development of Latvia, Elina Bardram, Head of the International and Inter-institutional’s Unit at the European Commission, and Maroš Šefčovič, Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of the Energy Union.